Hope Great House
By the beginning of the 19th Century, Crooked Island was home to more than 40 plantations and 1200 slaves. The population turned to sponge diving for a short time when cotton became uneconomical due to Emancipation and soil depletion. Established in 2002, this 3.6-acre national park protects the ancient remains of some of these plantations.
This park has little infrastructure and trail systems, there is no one on guard.
Legacy of the Loyalists.
Located on the west coast of the remote Crooked Island, this Loyalist compound includes an artillery battery and living quarters. This well preserved historic property was handed over to the Bahamas National Trust by Herbert A. McKinney.
At the top of the ridge lay the cannons. This artillery battery would have protected the property which had been raided at one time by American privateers. There are five solid iron cannons which carry the crest of King George V.
Beyond the cannons lies the foundations for two small structures. Together these comprise the “military complex”. Further East is the “plantation complex” which consists of a main house and kitchen which still stands in reasonably good condition. The main house is on the highest point of the ridge and is covered in plants such as Jumbey, Lignum vitae, and bromeliads. The slave quarters were reported to the North of the main house but these have not yet been found.